Monday, June 10, 2013

TEMPING!

I used be a temp (temporary worker to some), otherwise known as the lowest form of “employee” in the bucket.
     In fact, I spent a good chunk of my tweens bouncing from one dispensable office job to another, usually as one of many receptionists rotating through a particular company each month.
     Now this wasn't because I couldn't find a regular job, it was because (like an actor) I wanted to be flexible incase my big break came that day.
     I was the ideal temp (sometimes) and I even turned up on time (most days).
     But my taste for temping was ruined when I was sent down to THE PIT!
     The building was actually a warehouse that once might have been red, in a shady part of town that I'm not even sure the criminals knew about.
     As I walked through the door, my senses were hit with the unmistakable essence of misery – yes essence, as in if it got any thicker it would be alive!
     While I followed the broken spirited woman down a grease sodden corridor to the bowels of the building where I would be put to work, I remember thinking “Why?  Why was I picked for this?”
     I still don't know how I made it through day one, day two or day three but on day four I had to employ the blind date method of exit used by liars all over the world:
     I got my best friend to call reception and report that my cat was missing.
     I haven't been able to look at a Recruitment Consultant in the same way again!

Ella Roberts,

No comments:

Post a Comment