Wednesday, June 19, 2013

BLOODY POEMS!

I am not the biggest fan of poems.
     Sure, I enjoy reading the odd birthday card and cereal box every now and then but when somebody offers to read me a poem I expertly cringe on the inside.
     Once I actually cringed on the outside and offended the poemer to no end... and ended up overcompensating by sitting through three terrible poems, faking a smile and piercing fake nails into my palms.
     After that anguish, the poemer then requested I “constructively critique” their poetic train-wreck so as to “make it better”, a challenge I only undertook to once again overcompensate for my inability to hide my feelings quickly enough.
     The things guilt will make a person do!
     As a writer I pride myself on being able to spin out a good story quicker than McDonalds can cook an egg and sausage biscuit!
     I have blogs, I have books, I have novels, I have screenplays but when it comes to writing poetry, my creative libido just shrivels up and scuttles away!
     Which is what happened recently when I was called upon to deliver a poem.
     My first instinct was to panic and run away, but I womaned-up and sought advice from a budding (and broke) poet who had too much time on his hands.
     This was obviously a mistake because I ended up getting half a day's worth of poetry lecturing that I will never again use in my life.
     For the first time in my writing career I considered not putting my name on a piece of work I had written – yes, it was simply that bad!
     No actually, it was worse than that bad!



Ella Roberts,

No comments:

Post a Comment