Wednesday, June 5, 2013

SEEKING A SENSE OF ADVENTURE!

Do you know that I used to be a daredevil?
     Oh yeah, don’t be fooled by the old hen who now gets vertigo looking up!
     I used to be a courageous, adventurous, determined go-getter who had a to-do list that included skydiving, bungee jumping and chartering a plane.
     Every time I went to a theme park I would run to the fastest, highest, most daring roller-coaster ride, laughing and pointing at those who could only handle the tea cups.
     I would go out clubbing night after night, get home at 4am, roll out of bed at 7am and do my time at work like I had no problems.
     Oh, good times!
     Now, I go out for an evening and it takes me two days to recover.
     Now, I spend my entire time praying in a vehicle that’s moving faster than 20 mph.
     Now, I start sweating when I look at a roller coaster.
     What happened?  I still don’t know!
     I suddenly woke up one day and found my sense of adventure had just… left.
     In fact, I discovered this while looking down at the hard, scull inviting concrete floor of a swimming pool one summer, after cleverly accepting a dare to dive off a board that suspiciously looked closer to the surface of the water from the water.
     So I got to the edge of the board, realized my mistake and began retracing my steps, but the cheering from the crowd below stopped me.
     I have never resented encouragement like I did in that moment!
     Oh yes my lack of adventure is so pitiful now, I will not get contact lenses because that is just too close to the eye!
     Maybe the tide will turn again in twenty years… maybe?

Ella Roberts,

No comments:

Post a Comment