Monday, June 3, 2013

SPICY FOOD!

I've often received a questioning look whenever I have ignored an offensive bottle of hot sauce placed in front of me (purely by assumption).
     Spicy food and I have never gotten along – anything that deliberately sets out to ruin my experience of food is never welcome in my mouth!
     So I was at a party and after the courtesy greetings and meetings, I slithered over to the food table when no one was looking.
     Since I am a sucker for chips and dip, I quickly sighted the said items sitting prettily in the middle of everything.
     Predictably, I picked the biggest chip, topped it with a generous amount of dip and greedily scoffed it with little shame.
     At first I thought the room temperature had gone up, but when my body's entire liquid content started oozing out of my eyes and nose, I didn't know whether to spit or swallow.
     So I coughed.
     And the hostess flew over to roll me away from the food table, squeaking something about the other guests getting nervous.
     Then she chased me away when I tried to return and completely banned me from the vicinity when I tried to argue.
     Openly sulking in the corner, I attempted to fob off a heavily accented gentleman who was desperate to sell me net curtains... until his wife turned up carrying two plates.
     She had been standing behind me when I got banned from the food table, so I feigned interest in what her husband was saying, hoping she would be so kind as to hand me one of those plates – instead she dug into it!
     I had to leave... hungry, unhappy and with a lingering burn in my mouth!
     This is what happens when I am around spicy food.

Ella Roberts,




No comments:

Post a Comment