Friday, June 7, 2013

NONSENSE + LAZY = (sometimes) MUSIC

So I found myself on Youtube recently (as everyone does when they're supposed to be working), listening to the songs of my youth (the versions with lyrics I didn't make up), which quickly brought me to a realization that made me feel really stupid:
     I’ve been singing the wrong words to a lot of songs!
     One of those songs being MmmBop by Hanson, you remember that floppy-haired band of brothers that all the girls wanted to be with and all the boys wanted to be like (I never knew why then either).
     This song makes absolutely no sense and I didn’t realize how bad it was until now!
     I imagine I wasn’t the only fool who inserted “la-la-las’s” where there wasn’t an MmmBop but the song was so catchy, all anyone needed to know was the MmmBop bit!
     What does this unimaginative twaddle actually mean?

     “In an MmmBop they’re not there” (who?)
     “Until you lose your hair” (what?)
     “No, but you don’t care” (huh?)
     Then at some point they go on to say:
     “Plant a seed, plant a flower, plant a rose. You can plant any one of those.  Keep planting to find out which one grows.  It’s a secret no one knows” (again, what?)

     Seriously, did nobody take these boys aside and give them a lesson in song writing 101?
     JUST BECAUSE IT RHYMES, DOESN’T MAKE IT’S A SONG!
     And unfortunately, there are more train-wrecks masquerading as songs nowadays, for example:

     “Time is waiting.  We only got 4 minutes to save the world...” – 4 Minutes by Madonna & Justin Timberlake.

     “Cause you were Romeo, I was the Scarlet Letter...” – Love Story by Taylor Swift

     *Sigh!*
Ella Roberts,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment